Monday, July 21, 2008


So on sunday I went and saw an acoustic gig at The Hive (an acoustic venue in Brisbane). The bands who played were – Jake Wood, The Attendance, Ladies and Gentlemen and ELLINGTON. It was only $10, and believe me, it was worth every cent.

Jake Wood started the afternoon off with some lovely vocals accompanied by his guitar. After not seeing him play for a while, he sounded like he had improved a great deal, or maybe I just had forgotten how great he always was! Either way, he played a great set.

Next up, The Attendance played. The 4 boys confessed to not being used to playing acoustically, but they did an amazing job. They were a delight to watch and were very enjoyable. The only let down is that the demo of theirs I picked up only has two songs on it! Not nearly enough!

For the next act, Ladies and Gentlemen were up. These lads are a favourite of mine, I saw them last time they were up from Sydney, and I have to say, they do not disappoint! I highly recommend you checking them out, they have a great sound, and even though they played an “acoustic” set, they still managed to add some awesome sounds in, synth and the like. Their 5-song EP is very rad, but if I could have it my way it would be at LEAST double the length! although, I should just be happy that I got both the mentioned cd’s for free! :D

Lastly but definitely not least was ELLINGTON. Jake and Michael are basically musical geniuses, to say the least. They played a sensational set, with lovely vocals and guitar work. I always love the fact that Jake plays a right hand guitar and Michael plays a left. I know its not a deliberate decision to do that, but it always makes me smile. What I did not know before the gig was how lovely Michael’s voice is! I’ve never really heard him sing, and this was the first time I’ve actually seen him sing a solo part! He looked a little self-conscious, but he sounded wonderful! Like always, they were a pleasure to watch and I definitely think everyone should check them out! (and maybe buy a copy of their EP “The Joy We Keep In” or their new one, when it bloody comes out!)

No comments: